The particulars of SAIL Safety Organisation
- SAIL Safety Organisation is a Corporate unit of SAIL.
- Office: Ispat Bhawan (2nd Floor), Research & Development Centre for Iron & Steel, Steel Authority of India Limited, Doranda, Ranchi-834002, Jharkhand.
Objective and Function
SAIL Safety Organisation (SSO), a corporate unit of SAIL was set up in 1988 at Ranchi. SSO monitors and guides the Safety, Fire and Occupational Health activities undertaken at different Plants/Units/Mines/Stockyards. To accomplish the above mentioned functions, SSO formulates and prepares appropriate Safety Policies, procedures, systems, action plans, guidelines etc. and follows up their implementation and thereby helps in providing accident free work environment. Consistent efforts are also being made by SSO for competence building in the area of safety management through HRD interventions covering Heads of shops, Line Managers and Safety personnel. SSO is managing the secretariat of the Joint Committee on Safety, Health & Environment in the steel Industry (JCSSI), a bipartite forum which addresses steel plant safety, health & environment issues with active involvement of management and central & plant level trade unions and provides guidelines to the member organizations like SAIL, TATA Steel, RINL, JSW, VISA, Bhusan, Dastur Co., etc., on promoting Safety, Occupational health and environment. SSO has started functioning as a nodal agency from May, 1988 with the following objectives
- Creating a Safety culture
- Monitoring safety activities of plants/units
- Evolving safety systems in operation and construction
- Keeping abreast of latest developments