Prime Minister's Message
I am sure you have heard time and again that cleanliness is next to Godliness. Alas, things are often different when it comes to putting this into practice. On 2nd October we are launching Swachh Bharat Mission, a massive mass movement, that seeks to create a Clean India. Cleanliness was very close to Mahatma Gandhi's heart. A clean India is the best tribute we can pay to Bapu when we celebrate his 150th birth anniversary in 2019. Mahatma Gandhi devoted his life so that India attains 'Swarajya'. Now the time has come to devote ourselves towards 'Swachchata' (cleanliness) of our motherland.
I urge every one of you to devote at least hundred hours every year, that is two hours every week towards cleanliness since it`s launch in 2014. We can't let India remain unclean any longer. On 2nd October I myself will set out with a broom and contribute towards this pious task.
Today, I appeal to everyone, particularly political and religious leadership, mayors, sarpanchs and captains of industry to plan and wholeheartedly engage in the task of cleaning your homes, work places, villages, cites and surroundings. I request your active support and participation in our collective quest o make a Swachh Bharat.
for Swachh SAIL Sundar SAIL
Mahatma Gandhi dreamt of an India which was not only free but also clean and developed. Mahatma Gandhi secured freedom for Mother India. Now it is our duty to serve Mother India by keeping the country neat and clean. I take this pledge that I will remain committed towards cleanliness and devote time for this.
- I will devote 100 hours per year, that is two hours per week, to voluntarily work for cleanliness.
- I will neither litter not let others litter.
- I will initiate the quest for cleanliness with myself, my family, my locality, my village and my work place.
- I believe that the countries of the world that appear clean are so because their citizens don't indulge in littering nor do they allow it to happen. With this firm belief, I will propagate the message of Swachh Bharat Mission in villages and towns.
- I will encourage 100 other persons to take this pledge which I am taking today.
- I will endeavour to make them devote their 100 hours for cleanliness.
- I am confident that every step I take towards cleanliness will help in making my country clean.