Bokaro Steel is striving to reach the glow and warmth of its furnaces to people living at the periphery of this thriving steel city. All villages and residential settlements within a radius of 20 kilometres are covered under the peripheral development programmes that benefit some 3 lakh persons. In recent years, the stress has been on developing basic and infrastructure facilities like roads, bridges, schools, primary health centres, wells, pumps etc. and renovating the existing facilities.
Regular health camps are organised to reach immunisation and free medicines to people. Bokaro Steel pitched in with its share in the relief of victims of natural calamities like the Orissa cyclone, Gujarat earthquake and Bihar floods.
- BSL presently runs 10 schools in its township.
- Bokaro Steel Kalyan Vidyalaya and Bokaro Steel Balika Vidyalaya offer free education, study material, uniforms and mid-day meal to children from poor families as a CSR initiative.
- BSL adopted the first batch of 15 Birhor (primitive tribe) children in 2001, and provided them free board, lodging, dresses and education till Class-X under the Gyan Jyoti Yojana. Later, their +2 education was also sponsored and they were trained in the ITI run by BSL. The second batch of 15 Birhor children were adopted in 2012. These children live under the love and care of Bokaro Steel, getting free board, lodging, dresses and education. They are getting developmental opportunities of the modern world, without having to shun their own cultural moorings.
- BSL runs an ITI under CSR through the Bokaro Ispat Educational Trust.
- 910-bed Bokaro General Hospital (BGH) with special units like Critical Care Unit, Intensive Coronary Care Unit, Haemodialysis, Nuclear Medicine, Intensive Burns Unit, Special Care Baby Unit, Psychiatry, Rehabilitation, Cancer Therapy, MRI, CT Scan, Ultramodern Operation Theatre, Neurosurgery, Eye OT.
- Sector Health Centres
- Sarwa Swasthya Kendra (free for BPL families)
- Primary Health Centres in Peripheral areas
- Occupational Health Services Centre within plant premises
- Mobile clinic Ispat Sanjeevani for free healthcare in peripheral areas.
- Blood Bank recognised as Regional Training Centre by Govt. of India and State to impart training to blood bank officers / technicians; BGH recognised by Indian Medical Council to impart training to Housemen and Interns; Nursing School recognised by Nursing Council of India for training Student Nurses; BGH recognised by National Board of Examinations as centre for post-graduate DNB Training.
The ancillaries under the Bokaro Industrial Area Development Authority symbolise the spill-over of economic activities due to Bokaro Steel. The Plant aids these industrial units by providing testing facilities, technical support for modernisation and upgradation, and preferential procurement orders in their areas of strength that match Bokaro Steel's requirements.
To keep them abreast of the prevailing quality assurance standards, Bokaro Steel has been giving free consultations to these units for developing their ISO 9001 QA Systems.
Bokaro Mahila Samiti
Founded in 1964, Bokaro Mahila Samiti is a leading philanthropic organisation of the spouses of steelmen, giving succour to needy people and creating opportunities for skill enhancement and self-employment. The Samiti runs a number of schools for poor children and a children's library. The Swawlamban Kendra and Surabhi Udyog Kendra with wings for making spices, flour, safety gloves, soap, shawls, apparel and embroidered clothes, provide livelihood to a number of women. Free medical consultation for neonates and their mothers and mobile dispensary play a key role in providing primary healthcare to needy persons. The Samiti organises aid drives for lepers, victims of natural calamities, children from poor families and other resource-constrained people.