The norms set by BSP for the discharge of its functions
The entire operations area of the Plant has been covered under ISO quality standards. The ISO standards set up the norms for functioning of the entire production area and also that of the allied functions such as training and development, which provide services to the Plant.
Techno-economic norms have been quantified and specified for the total production process covering every department and these norms provide the guidelines for carrying out the different activities. The norms are annually published in the form of ready reckoner.
The time frame has been specified for each activity under every Standard Operating Practice (SOP) and responsibility for undertaking the activity has also been specified. Regular review by HODs, and at MR level, as well as audit by both Internal as well as Certifying Auditors identify evidences of non-conformities and corrective actions are taken immediately.
Integrated Management System (IMS) policy of the organization applies to all vital areas pertaining to Quality, Environment, Occupational Health & Safety and Social Accountability. The policy is aligned also to meet the requirements of all the applicable management system standards and is issued / communicated across the organization for its implementation.
Under IMS, BSP has developed systems and procedures and installed ISO 9001:2015 Quality Management system, ISO14001:2015 Environment Management System,OHSAS: 18001:2007 Occupational Health & Safety Management System and SA 8000:2014Social Accountability Management System across the organization and got them certified by internationally reputed certifying agency. BSP is also certified for ISO 50001:2011 Energy Management System and ISO 27001:2013 Information Security Management System.
While fixing the IMS policy, management has ensured that the policy is aligned to quality of product and services offered by BSP and it provides a framework for establishing and reviewing its business objectives. The policy also includes commitment to comply with all requirements of the standards covered under IMS of BSP and continually improves upon the effectiveness.
The IMS policy of Bhilai Steel Plant on Quality, Environment, Occupational Health & Safety and Social Accountability is stated below:
Bhilai Steel Plant shall continuously strive to build and sustain a world class organization and enhance the value for its stakeholders through continual improvements and by:
- Making Quality as hallmark of every process and activity and enhancing customer satisfaction through product differentiation.
- Maintaining clean, green and sustainable environment in the plant, township and mines premises, conserving energy & natural resources and minimising waste generation through process improvement and enhancing waste recovery and its recycling.
- Providing safe, healthy& socially accountable work culture for all its employees and other persons working in the plant, township and mines through prevention of accident, injury & ill health and respecting human rights.
- Enhancing employee productivity for achieving business goals through improving competence of all its employees and fostering a work culture conducive to creativity, innovation, team building, transparency and empowerment.
- Adhering to internationally recognized management system standards for Quality, Environment, Occupational Health & Safety and Social Accountability and complying to all applicable statutory, regulatory, legal and other requirements
Bhilai Steel Plant has a well-established Internal Customer Satisfaction (ICS) model in place which is designed to achieve end customer satisfaction and organizational business targets through meeting the requirements of all internal customers appearing in the ICS chain. The ICS model of Bhilai Steel Plant was rated as one of the ten best practices for achieving customer satisfaction in our country by CII institute of quality. BSP also has Risk Management model in place to ensure better sustenance and Corporate Governance of its business. BSP is the first PSU steel plant to bring out Corporate sustainability report verified by third party.